As federal regulators step up enforcement of privacy and security requirements under the HIPAA Omnibus Rule, healthcare organizations face key compliance challenges, including dealing with their business associates and ensuring that patient information is adequately protected to avoid breaches. What are healthcare entities' key struggles? What are they doing to step up compliance while also improving overall protection of patient data?
We conducted our third annual Healthcare Information Security Today survey to find out.
The 2014 survey sheds light on seven hot topics:
- HIPAA Omnibus: Compliance is Challenging
- Breach Prevention: Trend Analysis
- Risk Assessments: Getting Better or Cutting Corners?
- Encryption and Authentication: Room for Improvement
- Mobile Tech: Inadequate Protection
- Web Portals: Work in Progress
- Priorities, Investments and Staffing
Improving regulatory compliance efforts ranks as the No. 1 information security priority for the year ahead. And the No. 1 technology investment priority is an audit tool or log management system. The handbook provides complete results, plus analysis by a roster of security and privacy experts.